Thursday 28 February 2013

'Not an Ode to Tofu' by Jo Simons


Not an Ode to Tofu


Oh tofu, I try so hard to love you.
You are what my heart and arteries supposedly prefer.
You save the animals from their frightful doom.
You are our hero.

But you sit there on my counter
trying to look like something edible....
and I see modeling clay or soft white building bricks
meant to be a sculpture or a fun playhouse.

But you claim to be food as you challenge me to make you flavorful -
to smell like anything - to convince me you really are edible.
You staunchly refuse to taste like anything
unless we vigorously infuse you with strong spices.

I am beginning to think you are just a clever hoax!
You're a stubborn, unappealing block of nothing.
Oh sure, you're a cousin of the soybean.....
then why aren't you green?

I need more from you, oh lifeless block.
I need you to try harder to seduce me.
I need a luscious aroma, a beautiful form, a nice color.
Then, perhaps I can learn to love you.




Written by Jo Simons, first posted on the People's Poetry Bookshelf on 18 February 2013.



No comments:

Post a Comment