Thursday 28 February 2013

'IAM TIRED OF POETRY' by Eddy Ongili


IAM TIRED OF POETRY


My pen refuses to stop
I get so twisted and Iam laid bare
of all the themes I wear
of all the ideas I share
My poetic wit disobeys my orders
Poetry stop please, you are killing me

Iam in a state of poignancy
I pity myself
I loathe my gift
Poetry is evil
But Plato disagrees
He claims 'the poet's job is to bear witness'
And I witness that 'witnessing' is tough
Iam tired of poetry
Iam tired of poetry
It is to me belligerent
It sneers on my energy
Who will save me from myself
Iam baffled by its effect on me
All I want is more poetry
Reading one leads to the next

Iam disturbed by the comfort others find
I write and someone calls me 'sweet'
Iam told I inspire
Iam told Iam 'set to be' Shakespeare'
Words; words fill my mind
My pen is always on its duty
Traverssing the lonely pages of my books
Iam blind and cant see my soul is dying
I milk it daily/ I beg for complete surrender

The BIBLE or QURAN all poetic
All God's prophets were poets
Please, please, Iam no prophet
I receive no divine light
Poetry please release my mind
Experiences please block any inspiration
Iam tired of poetry
Its disease i get no cure
Poerty let me percieve
Your words let me not receive
For I always believe
Without you I cant live

I see and hear writers perform
some good, others do great injustice
to your name poetry-they cant form
Iam called mystical, satirical, romantic...
Iam none of this,
I deserve not even the name "poet"
Iam ashamed at my writing
Iam ashamed of you poetry
I encipher diatribes into your mailbox
Hoping that you'll desert me
Because I promise if you remain
I'll strip you naked
I'll expose all your forms
And you will suffer from my pen's wrath
I'll decapitate you completly
Poetry is fire, a fire that burns me
In light or night it opens my sight
Iam tired that I cant even sleep
I seek no apologies or reconcilliation
For poetry to me is 'me'

Eddy Ongili©



Written by Eddy Ongili, first posted on the People's Poetry Bookshelf on 18 February 2013.



No comments:

Post a Comment